Nearly two-thirds of debaters currently qualified to the 2017 TOC are VBI alumni. And one-third of all debaters currently qualified to the TOC have attended VBI multiple times.
Debaters from 36 states attended VBI in 2016 and returned to their home circuits with not only new skills, but also new friends from all over the country. They have experienced considerable success on their local, state, and regional circuits. We love to hear how our alumni are doing, so please email us anytime.
As successful as our students have been over the past 16 years, things are only getting better as we continue to find new ways to push our curriculum and our students forward.
This has been a stellar year for VBI alumni. So far, they have won:
- The Greenhill Fall Classic* (and Round Robin*)
- The Valley Mid-America Cup* (and Round Robin)
- The New York City Invitational (and Round Robin*)
- The St. Mark's Heart of Texas Invitational
- The Minneapple* (and Round Robin*)
- The Harvard Westlake Tournament* (and Debate.LA Challenge Round Robin)
- The Barkley Forum for High Schools @ Emory*
- The Loyola Invitational*
- The Yale Invitational*
- The Voices Foundation Invitational (and Round Robin*)
- The John Edie Holiday Debate Tournament hosted by The Blake School
- The College Preparatory School Invitational
- The Lexington Winter Invitational*
- The Grapevine Classic*
- The Capitol Beltway Fall Classic
- The Scarsdale Invitational
- The Princeton Classic
- The Longhorn Classic at the University of Texas*
- The Dowling Catholic Paradigm
- The Isidore Newman Invitational
- The Newark Invitational (and Round Robin*)
- The University of Houston Cougar Classic*
- The Puget Sound High School Tournament*
- The Wake Forest Earlybird
- The Damus Hollywood Invitational*
- The Central Valley Bear Brawl
(* indicates VBI alumni closeout)
Nearly 190 Bids to the TOC
VBI alumni have not just been winning the most important invitationals this season, they have been filling up elimination brackets at every tournament. Even with students across the country attending dozens of different debate institutes each summer, VBI alumni have earned a solid majority of bids awarded to the Tournament of Champions—more than any other camp in the country. They are consistently on top of the head-to-head debate rankings and the TOC bid list.